Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blame it on Al Frankin

Al Frankin’s Saturday Night Live character Stuart Smalley was famous for his positive self-affirmations in front of a mirror. Turns out he was only slightly ahead of his time.

A recent study reports that today’s college students are more narcissistic and self-centered than the college students of years past. The study was called the Narcissistic Personality Inventory between 1982 and 2006. It reports that narcissism scores have risen steadily since the study began in 1982. More students than ever agree with statements such as “If I ruled the world, it would be a better place,” “I think I am a special person” and “I can live my life the way I want to.”

Did we need a study to tell us that? Couldn’t we have just opened a People magazine or turned on Access Hollywood?

Let’s see…
- Brittany shaves her head and checks into rehab more often than Catholics stand and sit in church.
- More men claim to be the father of Anna Nichole’s daughter than ever watched here dreadful TV show.
- Paris Hilton…’nuff said
- An American Idol hopeful claims the “the dirty pictures are mine, the REALLY dirty ones are not, but the dirty ones are mine.”

Nah, this isn’t a narcissistic generation!

When a teenager drives a car worth more than the working father of three makes in a year, the world has turned upside down.

So when Stuart Smalley looks in the mirror, perhaps he should say “Maybe I’m not good enough, but my kids sure are.”

No comments: